On the high hills of the right bank of the Dnieper rises majestically crowned with golden domes of the Holy Assumption Kiev-Pechersk Lavra – the inheritance of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the cradle of monasticism in Russia and the stronghold of the Orthodox faith.
Kiev-Pechersk Lavra began life in 1051 frequent visitors of the cave monastery became Prince Izyaslav, son of Yaroslav the Wise, and Kiev to know who donated funds for the construction of the temple ground and cells when the caves were close to the number of monks, which grew rapidly. This happened about 1062: St. Anthony appointed the first abbot of St. Barlaam, and went on for forty years in a remote cave.
The church was built 15 years the Greek architects and painters, and was consecrated in 1089 by Metropolitan John.
The monks of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra and the first hermits, different morals. It is attracted to Laura educated and noble people. The monastery became a kind of academy of Orthodox hierarchs. By the beginning of the XIII century among the monks in various border of Kievan Rus was appointed 50 bishops.
Playing a significant role in the unification of East Slavic lands, being spiritual, social, cultural and educational center, Pechersk Lavra enjoyed an excellent reputation not only in Russia but also in Poland, Armenia, Byzantium, Bulgaria and other countries.
Starting with the 40s of XIII century. and the beginning of XIV century the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra was the witness of the Mongol invasion, the monastery as a whole, and Kiev, is also affected in 1399 and 1416′s.
Until the end of the XVI century., Overcoming various difficulties associated with Catholicism Ukrainian lands, as well as interference in the internal life of the monastery of the king and magnates, monasteries, temples and otstraivaya acquiring new land, actively revived. No longer having the glory that was in the first century of its existence, it remains one of the major spiritual, educational and cultural centers of Ukraine.
In 1911, Laura took the remains of the land of Peter Stolypin Arkadievich – the outstanding statesman of the Russian Empire.
After the October Revolution of 1917. Laura began to hardest times in its history. According to the Decree of the Soviet Government “On the separation of church and state and school from the Church,” all church property and religious societies, it was announced the property of the people. The progressive isolation of the church community, the displacement of the newly established museum completed by the beginning of 1930 the total elimination of the monastery. A huge loss architectural and historical treasures Laura suffered during the Great Patriotic War, and November 3, 1941 has been undermined by the Holy Dormition Cathedral.
In June 1988, in connection with the celebration of the 1000th anniversary of Baptism of Kievan Rus, and according to the decision of the Council of Ministers of the USSR newly created monk community was transferred to the territory of Far caves with all overground buildings and caves, and in 1990 transferred to the territory of the Near Caves.